January 2023 Year-Over-Year Highlights
- Bankruptcy filings including all chapters totaled 31,087, a 19% increase from the January 2022 total of 26,215.
- Commercial chapter 11 filings increased 70 percent to 257 in January 2023 from the 151 filings recorded in January 2022.
- Commercial filings increased 12%, totaling 1,694 compared to the 1,508 filed in January 2022.
- Subchapter V small business elections increased 49 percent to 137 in January 2023 from the 92 filings last January.
- Individual filings increased 20%, totaling 29,545 compared to the 24,703 filed in January 2022.
Interested in the filing breakdown by chapter? Or month-over-month trends? What are experts saying about the findings?
To read the latest statistical analysis from Epiq and ABI, please click here.
To follow the market trends with us, get on-demand access to Bankruptcy Analytics, providing daily metrics on new filings, open cases, closed cases and key case stakeholder. Create an account today.
Chapters 7, 11 & 11(V) and 13,
January 2022 vs. 2023
ABI has partnered with Epiq Bankruptcy Analytics to provide the most current bankruptcy filing data for analysts, researchers, and members of the news media. Epiq Bankruptcy is the leading provider of data, technology, and services for companies operating in the business of bankruptcy. Its new Bankruptcy Analytics subscription service provides on-demand access to the industry’s most dynamic bankruptcy data, updated daily. Learn more by clicking here.
Archive of monthly statistical sheets from Epiq. (March 2022-April 2012)