ABI's "Puerto Rico in Distress" Website Provides Latest News, Analysis and More on Puerto Rico's Debt Crisis
Alexandria, Va. — As Puerto Rico continues to map out plans to restructure nearly $72 billion in municipal debt, ABI has launched the "Puerto Rico in Distress" website to help navigate the news and analysis of the island's ongoing debt crisis. The site draws upon a number of resources to provide the latest news and analysis on Puerto Rico’s debt crisis, as well as proposals for restructuring its municipal debt (as a U.S. territory, Puerto Rico is not eligible to restructure its debts under chapter 9 of the Bankruptcy Code). Sections featured on the new site include:
- Puerto Rico in the News: Latest news from around the Internet.
- Twitter Feed: All Twitter posts on Puerto Rico’s debt crisis.
- Video Features: In-depth selected videos.
- Selected Articles/Analysis/Reports: Articles featured on Puerto Rico in the daily ABI Headlines, as well as special reports about the Commonwealth and chapter 9 bankruptcy.
- Podcast: ABI Executive Director Sam Gerdano interviewing Sonia Colòn and Javier Vilariño Santiago of Ferraiuoli LLC in Puerto Rico about the “Puerto Rico Recovery Act” and issues surrounding PREPA. (Aug. 14, 2014)
- Analysis: Select articles on Puerto Rico from the ABI Journal, research and studies, and op-eds and commentaries.
- Bloomberg Briefs: Updated news, charts and statistics from Bloomberg Briefs’ Puerto Rico Special newsletter.
- Legislative News: Legislation and hearings on allowing Puerto Rico access to chapter 9 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.
- Court Opinions: U.S. District Court ruling from February 2015 striking down Puerto Rico’s Recovery Act, along with the U.S. Court of Appeals ruling from July 2015 upholding the U.S. District Court.
- ABI Bankruptcy Brief: Select editions of the ABI Bankruptcy Brief featuring news, commentary or analysis of Puerto Rico’s financial crisis.
For updated news and analysis on Puerto Rico’s debt crisis, be sure to visit, and bookmark, ABI’s “Puerto Rico in Distress” website. Members of the press looking to speak with an ABI expert on Puerto Rico’s financial situation can contact ABI Public Affairs Manager John Hartgen at 703-894-5935 or email@example.com.
ABI is the largest multi-disciplinary, nonpartisan organization dedicated to research and education on matters related to insolvency. ABI was founded in 1982 to provide Congress and the public with unbiased analysis of bankruptcy issues. The ABI membership includes more than 12,000 attorneys, accountants, bankers, judges, professors, lenders, turnaround specialists and other bankruptcy professionals, providing a forum for the exchange of ideas and information. For additional information on ABI, visit www.abiworld.org. For additional conference information, visit http://www.abi.org/calendar-of-events.