ABIs Sixth International Insolvency Symposium Scheduled for October in London
Contact: John Hartgen
ABI’S SIXTH INTERNATIONAL INSOLVENCY SYMPOSIUM SCHEDULED FOR OCTOBER IN LONDON
July 21, 2010, Alexandria, Va.— The American Bankruptcy Institute will hold its Sixth Annual International Insolvency & Restructuring Symposium on Oct. 29, 2010, at the Savoy in London, England. The program will feature some of the world's top professionals in restructuring speaking on the industry's hottest topics. The Symposium will also offer attendees the opportunity to earn up to 5.5 hours of CLE credit. The keynote speaker for the daylong program will be James H.B. Sprayregen of Kirkland & Ellis LLP (Chicago), who will discuss his extensive experience representing major U.S. and international companies in- and out-of-court, as well as buyers and sellers of assets in distressed situations.
The conference will begin with an address by ABI President Melissa Kibler Knoll of Mesirow Financial Consulting LLC (Chicago) and program chair Ian G. Williams of Bryan Cave LLP (London).
Program sessions include:
- The 'America Now!' session will look at current trends in U.S. insolvencies and restructurings, including the advent of taxpayer-funded bankruptcies, and explore current legislation and comment on developments in the financial sector for distressed lending.
- Experts from key jurisdictions will describe the practices and procedures available to assist distressed companies to reorganize and restructure out of court in the “Restructurings in Europe” session.
- “Current Issues in Business and Finance” session will feature broadcaster, presenter and journalist Robert Peston, who will give his views on the global financial crisis and the credit crunch.
- “The Great Debate” session will feature experts speaking about large-scale international insolvencies hitting an unexpectedly low level, and whether the sovereign debt crisis and a lack of access to refinancing will lead to a boom in restructuring work.
- A panel will also explore the steps taken to stabilize three major banks that collapsed in Iceland in 2008 and the process underway to restructure the substantial debt that they owed to international creditors during the “Iceland: Restructuring a Nation” session.
Click below for a full list of experts scheduled to speak at the International Insolvency & Restructuring Symposium.
Additionally, all attendees will receive a copy of ABI’s European Union Regulation on Insolvency Proceeding: An Introductory Analysis, Third Edition.
To find out more about ABI’s International Insolvency Symposium, please visit www.abiworld.org/IIS10.
ABI is the largest multi-disciplinary, nonpartisan organization dedicated to research and education on matters related to insolvency. ABI was founded in 1982 to provide Congress and the public with unbiased analysis of bankruptcy issues. The ABI membership includes more than 12,600 attorneys, accountants, bankers, judges, professors, lenders, turnaround specialists and other bankruptcy professionals, providing a forum for the exchange of ideas and information. For additional information on ABI, visit www.abiworld.org. For additional conference information, visit http://www.abiworld.org/conferences.html.