February Bankruptcy Filings Decrease 12 Percent from Previous Year Commercial Filings Fall 24 Percent
Alexandria, Va.— Total bankruptcy filings in the United States decreased 12 percent in February over the same period last year, according to data provided by Epiq Systems, Inc. Bankruptcy filings totaled 72,193 in February 2014, down 12 percent from the February 2013 total of 82,336. Consumer filings declined 12 percent to 69,380 from the February 2013 consumer filing total of 78,614. Total commercial filings in February 2014 decreased to 2,813, representing a 24 percent decline from the 3,722 business filings recorded in February 2013. Total commercial chapter 11 filings also decreased 27 percent, to 452 filings in February from the 619 commercial chapter 11 filings recorded in February 2013. “Low interest rates, tighter lending standards and high costs to file continue to be reflected in fewer bankruptcy filings,” said ABI Executive Director Samuel J. Gerdano. “As these trends persist, expect bankruptcy filings to continue to decline in 2014.” While bankruptcies were down from a year ago, February’s bankruptcy filings trended upward from January. Total bankruptcy filings for the month of February represented a 6 percent increase over the 68,187 total filings registered in January 2014. The total noncommercial filings for February also represented a 6 percent increase from the January 2014 noncommercial filing total of 65,286. Although the February commercial filing total represented a 3 percent decline from the January 2014 commercial filing total of 2,901, February commercial chapter 11 filings represented a 17 percent increase when compared to the 388 filings recorded the previous month. The average nationwide per capita bankruptcy filing rate in February increased to 2.71 (total filings per 1,000 per population), a slight increase from the 2.64 rate registered in January 2014. With fewer days to file in the month, the average total filings per day in February were 2,578, a 12 percent decrease from the 2,941 total daily filings in February 2013. States with the highest per capita filing rate (total filings per 1,000 population) in February 2014 were: 1. Tennessee (6.02) 2. Georgia (4.91) 3. Alabama (4.82) 4. Illinois (4.33) 5. Utah (4.06) ABI has partnered with Epiq Systems, Inc. in order to provide the most current bankruptcy filing data for analysts, researchers and members of the news media. Epiq Systems is a leading provider of managed technology for the global legal profession. For further information about the statistics or additional requests, please contact ABI Public Affairs Manager John Hartgen at 703-894-5935 or firstname.lastname@example.org. ### ABI is the largest multi-disciplinary, nonpartisan organization dedicated to research and education on matters related to insolvency. ABI was founded in 1982 to provide Congress and the public with unbiased analysis of bankruptcy issues. The ABI membership includes more than 13,000 attorneys, accountants, bankers, judges, professors, lenders, turnaround specialists and other bankruptcy professionals, providing a forum for the exchange of ideas and information. For additional information on ABI, visit www.abiworld.org. For additional conference information, visit http://www.abiworld.org/conferences.html. Epiq Systems is a leading provider of managed technology for the global legal profession. Epiq Systems offers innovative technology solutions for electronic discovery, document review, legal notification, claims administration and controlled disbursement of funds. Epiq System’s clients include leading law firms, corporate legal departments, bankruptcy trustees, government agencies, mortgage processors, financial institutions, and other professional advisors who require innovative technology, responsive service and deep subject-matter expertise. For more information on Epiq Systems, Inc., please visit http://www.epiqsystems.com.
Wednesday, March 5, 2014